Thursday, September 01, 2005

Homeschooling is all about family



One of the things I've read,and totally agree with, is that homeschooling is about family. Well the last couple of days has been just that. You plan your days and lessons, and some days go easily, some hard but always there are diversions. Yesterday on our nature walk, a crew was cutting down a tree, so we sat and watched for 20 minutes as a man climbed the tree and cut down huge limbs, much to the chagrin of both my daughters. So we didn't get to the recorder case until Thursday.

It has amazed me just how much you can get done with your child when you aren't intructing other students at the same time! This gives me a lot of hope for this year as I wanted it to be low key and not such a ridgid schedule. At the same time we need to cover certain things this year and I am hoping to do some additional work with rhyming and memorization of poems and verses as well as getting a bit deeper into math than first grade curriculum has scheduled.

The recorder case Fiona is almost finished with one side of and should finish up the other side Saturday. Tonight she is having sleepover fun with a friend, so once again, homeschooling allows for flexibility and family fun in a way I am just beginning to see.

I have lots of work to do this weekend on our main lesson area (in the front of the house, recently remodeled) and our nature table. I want Fiona to feel just how special her first day of formal school is!

No comments:

Post a Comment